|This article applies to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 only, please revert those changes if you are still using Windows 7 and below.|
- Join a game lobby and host a game.
- In the game menu at top, select Windows compatibility and check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. Also check Run as Administrator in game menu > Windows compatibilty.
- The following setting is NOT necessary, some people however have experienced less crashes when running the game in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.
Manually configure the compatibility mode
|These steps are for experienced users only and meant for further troubleshooting only. Do not apply these settings unless you exactly know what you are doing.|
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\
- Right click on age2_x1.exe, click Properties and switch to Compatibility Tab.
- Click Change settings for all users
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode from list.
- Confirm with Apply and OK.
- Repeat this step for the following exe files below:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\EMPIRES2.EXE
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\age2_x1.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata\aok\Empires2.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata\aoc\age2_x1.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata\aoc\userpatch\age2_x1.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\voobly.exe
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.