This article applies to all operating systems.
- Uninstall Age of Empires II: The Age of King and Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion pack.
- Please make sure to close Voobly, before performing a clean installation of Age of Empires II, else you will run into more problems.
- Uninstall Aoe2HD through Steam client
- Rename the folder Age2HD to Age2HD_old in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common.
- Go to View > Settings > Interface and set Steam language to English.
- Exit Steam and restart the client.
- Install Aoe2HD through Steam client
- Right-click on Age of Empires II: HD-Edition and click Play Game.
- Wait for the dependencies and updates to be installed.
- Click Play to start Aoe2HD and Exit once you the program was started for the first time.
- Now join one of the AOC lobbies on Voobly and the Game Diagnostic should pop up. If that's not the case, click Game Diagnostic in menu Options to auto-fix the problem. The patch will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Close the Lobby and rejoin once the installation is complete. Now start the game diagnostic again. You are done!