This article applies to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 only, please revert those changes if you are still using Windows 7 and below.
- Join a game lobby and host a game.
- In the game menu at top, select Windows compatibility and check Disable display scaling on high DPI settings. Also check Run as Administrator in game menu > Windows compatibilty.
- The following setting is NOT necessary, some people however have experienced less crashes when running the game in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.
Manually configure the compatibility mode
These steps are for experienced users only and meant for further troubleshooting only. Do not apply these settings unless you exactly know what you are doing.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\
- Right click on age2_x1.exe, click Properties and switch to Compatibility Tab.
- Click Change settings for all users
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode and choose Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode from list.
- Confirm with Apply and OK.
- Repeat this step for the following exe files below:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\EMPIRES2.EXE
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II\age2_x1\age2_x1.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata\aok\Empires2.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata\aoc\age2_x1.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata\aoc\userpatch\age2_x1.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\voobly.exe