This is a feature and bug-fix update for Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion. Its primary focus is to correct several long existing issues with the game, the AI system, compatibility, and related elements.
Core Features of v1.4 RC
- Population caps have been extended up to 250, or optionally 1000.
- All available video resolutions, including widescreen, are selectable.
- Choose either the standard widescreen interface or the centered style.
- Mirror player civilizations with the new Team Random civ option.
- Select a maximum age for advancement using the "Starting Age" dropdown.
- Each map script generates 4,294,967,296 unique maps from 32,768 in v1.0c.
- Single player mode now operates at 60fps instead of 20fps in v1.0c.
- Browse saved and recorded games from subfolders in your SaveGame folder.
- Check real-time achievement statistics while watching recorded games.
- With the new Relics victory condition, capturing the relics is an instant win.
- The patrol system responds like The Age of Kings with little to no delay.
- New Random button above game settings for new styles of play.
- Flares are now bold and render player colors on the mini-map display.
- New higher resolution 1:1 and 1:2 full map captures with "Ctrl+F12".
- Age advancement notifications are now shown in each player's color.
- Restored games can now be recorded in all game modes.
- The vote panel/serial sync bug has been fixed for multiplayer.
- New auto-save if a problem occurs to ensure that resuming is possible.
- Optional multiple building queue to auto-distribute unit training.
- Many bug fixes for the core game and improvements for the AI system.
- The installer will correct any color problems on Windows Vista and later.
Changes from v1.3 to v1.4
- Performance improved significantly for single player and the rec viewer.
- Multiplayer CPU processing overhead reduced for human-only games.
- Double-click .mgz and .mgx recs in the SaveGame folder to open them directly.
- Team Random will mirror itself, preselected civs, Random, and Full Random.
- The interface now updates at 60fps for HP counters, progress bars, and more.
- Optional hidden civilization selection for lobby launched multiplayer games.
- Double-clicking on hero units will not select similar looking hero unit types.
- Barracks and castle huskarls are still selected together with a double-click.
- Set the Patrol Default state to On (10s delay) or Off (2s delay) with "Ctrl+F1".
- Hold "Ctrl" when clicking the patrol destination point to use the other delay.
- Always-on-top and Background modes now display onscreen notifications.
- Hover help can be toggled independently from event notifications with "F1".
- Background mode is now tri-state: on, off, view lock.
- Additional bug fixes are included for the core game.
Spectator Stream System
- Hosts can control this with the spectator button at the bottom of the setup screen.
- Watch single player games, campaigns, and even 4v4 multiplayer games.
- Enable restricted viewing or allow up to 32 people to spectate at once.
- Spectators can late-join a game for about 10 minutes in game time.
Single Player Recording
- If "Record Game" is off, your game is recorded to "rec.mgz" and overwritten each new game.
- If "Record Game" is on, your rec file is uniquely dated: rec.yyyymmdd-hhmmss.mgz.
- Never miss an epic event in single player if you chose not to enable unique recording.
- For multiplayer games, if "Record Game" is off, it is completely disabled, as usual.
Record Viewer Updates
- The rate hotkeys (usually numpad+ and numpad-) switch players without dropdown box lag.
- The flare button/hotkey (usually Alt+F) will toggle the fog of war setting.
- Replay speed now spans from 0% to 100% (0% = original slow, 100% = fast/unbounded).
- The Slow button reduces speed by 25%, while the Fast button increases it by 25%.
- Hold the "Shift" key when clicking these buttons for finer adjustments.
- The Normal button will return playback to 50% speed (75% when spectating).
Scenario Editor Updates
- Trigger elements are named and prefixed: C (condition), R (reverse condition), or E (effect).
- Fixed trigger corruption when attempting to select more than 25 units for a patrol effect.
- The Set Objects button will perform changes more reliably, avoiding unintentional deselection.
- Objects in the "Others" category will not be reset when returning to a trigger.
Multiple Building Queue
- Hosts can control this with the SQ/MQ button at the bottom of the setup screen.
- Select SQ for v1.0c style single queuing or MQ for the new multiple queuing.
- With MQ, if multiple buildings are selected, any units trained will be auto-distributed.
- Changing this in single player mode will preserve the default for future games.
New Civilization Options
- Team Random: mirrors civs on other teams, randomizing only if necessary.
- Random: the original Random, which attempts to give you a unique, random civ.
- Full Random: truly random, giving you the first pick, without regard for uniqueness.
Patrol Default Modes (Ctrl+F1) NEW
- Patrol Default: Off - units initiate attacks after 2 seconds when patrolled.
- Patrol Default: On - units initiate attacks after 10 seconds (v1.0c style).
- Hold "Ctrl" when clicking the patrol destination point to use the other delay.
Extended Help Modes (F1) NEW
- Extended Help: Off/Off - all of the extended help is disabled.
- Extended Help: Off/On - event notification messages are displayed.
- Extended Help: On/Off - extended hover help popups are displayed.
- Extended Help: On/On - both event notifications and hover popups are displayed.
Always-on-Top Mode (F7)
- Set View: Off - window will move behind other windows (default).
- Set View: On - window will stay on top of other windows.
Background Mode (F8)
- Back: Off - mouse locked inside window border, pause on alt+tab (default).
- Back: On - mouse free to move beyond border, no pause (spectator default).
- Back: View Lock - mouse locked inside window border, no pause (new).
M3U Music Playlists
- Set your favorite tracks as background music during gameplay.
- Create a "music.m3u" playlist in the "Sound" folder of the game.
- Press "F6" to skip to the next track during gameplay.
- Please see the Music section of this guide for more information.
Maximum Age Setting
- The "Standard" and "Dark - Imperial" settings span all ages of the game.
- All of the other settings are restricted as described from starting age to end.
- If you play against the built-in Computer, a Castle Age maximum or later is required.
- Wonder Race must reach the Imperial Age, unless your mod allows early wonders.
Relics Victory Condition
- This optional condition can be found with Standard, Conquest, Time Limit, and Score.
- In this mode, the first player/team to capture all relics wins the game.
- There is no countdown; once all relics are captured, the game ends immediately.
- This condition is almost identical to the scenario editor-exclusive condition.
AI & RM Scripts
- New maps can use team positioning for a different experience.
- Start your civilization on maps with new elevation attributes.
- AIs are selectable in multiplayer (direct ip or lan games are most stable).
- Multiplayer games can be started with only AI players for practice.
- AIs can now choose to close openings created in their walls.
- Boar hunting and luring is now fixed and operational for AIs.
- Ungrouped AI players will not ally themselves against humans.
- AIs are now able to lure deer and clear trees on michi maps.
- The reference guide describes all of the new features.
- For required defconsts, please see the included "UserPatchConst.per".
- Please visit the aiscripters forum for more information.
- Press "Ctrl+S" once to disable grid placement of non-building objects.
- Enable free placement of all objects by pressing "Ctrl+S" a second time.
- Fill new maps or modify existing maps with any available terrain.
- Create maps using custom rms scripts directly in the scenario editor.
- Trees, mines, and more are now properly replicated by the map copy feature.
- Change the names of units in a specific area, without having to preselect.
- Use negative numbers more freely with trigger conditions and effects.
- New reverse condition checkbox to invert your scenario trigger conditions.
- Area selection options for the patrol effect and the fewer-objects condition.
- Change object speed, range, and armor with new trigger effects.
Language Neutral Filenames
- Single player save: your choice.gaz
- Recorded game: rec.date-time.mgz
- Spectated game: spc.date-time.mgz
- Multiplayer save: mps.date-time.msz
- Vote panel save: vps.date-time.msz
- Out-of-sync save: oos.date-time.msz
Some features of v1.4 may be unavailable.